Monday, July 3, 2017

Visceral Victorian

As I have come to learn via this blog, it is difficult to pinpoint a particular space that appeals to the majority of people. My trip to the Met showed me that, although I have been multiple times it wasn't until yesterday that something clicked for me - art draws attention due to details. One thought stood out to me and rings true, I turned to my boyfriend and said "Do you know what the most underestimated aspect of this museum is? The frames." His response opened a door for me as he said "I've never actually noticed." I have been called a "meticulous artist" by one of my drawing professors because I obsessively spend too much time on the intricacies of my pieces, although when it comes to deadlines this dedication to detail is sometimes detrimental to productivityin life it serves as a source of knowledge and awareness. Trekking further into the Met we stumbled upon an exhibit that I hadn't seen: The Wrightsman Gallery and my poignant attention to detail went wild.

As James started reading the descriptions of each piece of furniture, my eyes wandered to the walls and the lighting. The grandeur of the era overtook my consciousness and made me realize how much time and effort was put into the crown molding, the wall panelling, the crystals of the chandelier and the complete composition of a space. From the ceiling to the floor, everything blends in a gorgeously meticulous fashion. The lighting of each space is also something that caught my attention, now although you can't sit at the 18th century desk and write a midterm paper, you can note the ambiance of the space in terms of feel and atmosphere. The cohesiveness of each space proved to me that maybe I'm on to something while preaching about the importance and impact of ambiance on inspiration and motivation, but don't take my word for it. P. S. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paulina,

    What a great post! Finally, someone else who understands that art goes beyond the paintings hanging on the walls. I am obsessed with frames, the wood-work, lighting, in most art focused places I visit. I did not know about this exhibition you reviewed, but I am excited to see it.

    If you have not been to The Frick yet, I highly recommend you go! When you're there take a close look at the old books people often neglect in certain rooms, they are beautiful.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rafaella,

    That is absolutely amazing that you just recommended the Frick Collection because on our way back from the Met, we walked past the Frick and I took a photo of the hours because I have never been nor did I know it even existed! I will most definitely check it out in the very near future, thank you!

    xx P.S.

    ReplyDelete